Friday, April 9, 2010

Why blog?

So I haven't read enough pilot blog posts to know whether writing your first blog with the subject "why blog?" is cliche or not, but to me it makes sense.

There are probably alot of reasons people blog, but the most I could intelligently speak on are the reasons I sense in my own heart. That could include alot, so I'll discuss my motivations in two categories: me-centered and God-centered. The former is my natural setting, so I'm praying that He would move me to the latter (as you probably guessed, this applies to more than blogging).

Me-centered: I really think my ideas are great. I really think everyone with internet access needs to hear them. I don't mean like "maybe you'd be blessed by some of my thoughts," no I mean you need to hear them. I have things figured out, and you don't really, so you need to be corrected by me. Not only that, but the fact that you don't have things figured out makes me mad. So I also need a forum on which to vent about why everyone else being wrong makes me so angry.

Such is my temptation. It will come out in my posts; I ask your forgiveness in advance. But by God's grace I don't want to have a me-centered attitude like this, and by God's grace I don't think my blog has to have that as its motivation and driving force. I think God's also given me another motivation:

God-centered: God is glorious as He is, and so we bring glory to God as we show who He is and what He's done. I think blogging is basically an opportunity to share who God is and what God's done, is doing, and will do in the world and in my life. I am excited at this opportunity. I believe if the focus is on the greatness of God's words (Jer. 15:16, my "theme verse" for this blog) and not my own, God can be glorified and the readers of it (even if there are only 2, thanks Tim and Aaron) can be encouraged.

Lord, may we fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.

P.S. I stole my idea for the title with the verse below and format from Justin Towart, who is far more creative than I. He just updated his blog for the first time since 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment